When there's snow, there's soup! Includes a recipe.

The only time I ever have to make fresh and healthy meals from scratch is during the weekend. What is even more special is having a snow day on the weekend to make a delicious soup in the afternoon to be enjoyed for dinner. I just picked up on Thursday my delicious fresh produce order from the local co-op that I belong to so I had just the right ingredients in my fridge waiting to be consumed.

I present to you a wonderful creamy vegetable soup. This can also be dairy free if you choose.


Ingredients:

  • 3-4 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 4 sticks of celery, sliced
  • 1 medium to large onion, diced
  • 1 leek, sliced (optional)
  • 1 small zucchini, peeled and sliced (optional)
  • 3-4 medium sized potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 sprig of Thyme or about 1 teaspoon dried Thyme (I used dried, that's all I had)
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced in half
  • 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1/3 cup cream or milk (coconut milk for dairy free)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pinch red chili powder (optional)
  • Pepper for taste


Directions
Heat up olive oil in a big pot. Add onions, leeks, carrots, celery, red chili powder, black pepper and salt. Cook until soft, steamy, and smelling sweet. This smells oh so good. I had to share the delicious smell with the family! This will take about 5-10 minutes. Stirring occasionally.



Add the potatoes, zucchini, bay leaves,thyme and garlic cloves to the pot. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes. If needed add more olive oil.


Add the broth and bring to a medium boil for about 15 minutes. Cover. Stirring occasionally. Remove from heat when done. Remove the sprig of thyme and the bay leaves.


Use a food mill or blender. You will need some sort of processor that blends really smooth. Add your milk in. I also added a little extra broth as it came out a bit too thick for me.


Enjoy with some toasted bread on top.


Serve!

If you make this please let me know how it turned out!


Comments

Popular Posts